There are numerous ways to gain more followers on Instagram, but one way that isn’t talked about often is to figure out who your ideal customer, client, reader, or follower is. It’s important to know exactly who you’re targeting so that you can get right in front of them and get their attention on you.
Figuring out who your ideal customer is is also important because if you know them as well as you know the back of your hand, then you know exactly what they want. You’ll know what type of content they want to see, how they want to see it, when they’re on Instagram, who they follow, and so much more information that could benefit your brand or business greatly.
If you’re giving your ideal customer what they want, then they’re going to follow you. If they look at your Instagram profile and they find exactly what they’re looking for, they’re going to become fans. So, how do you find your ideal customer?
Get more followers on Instagram by finding your ideal customer, here’s how to do that
The way you find your ideal customer is by asking a lot of questions and getting as much answers as you can. What matters is what type of questions you ask.
We’ll talk about what questions you need to ask in a bit, but first, who do you ask? First, you’re going to ask these questions to yourself. You know what your brand is, what your message is, and who you want to impact. Now you need to get more specific.
You’re going to get in the mind of your ideal customer, and answer the questions down below. It might take an hour or two, but give the best answers you can give. Be specific, and try not to give personal answers. You’re answering from someone else’s point of view.
Once you’ve answered the questions, find three to five people that fit your ideal customer profile. Then, tell them this:
“Hey, friend! I was wondering if you could help me out with a little project? I’m trying to figure out who my ideal customer/reader/etc. is and you just happen to be it. I was hoping we could get together/FaceTime so I could ask you someone questions that help me get to know you better as my ideal customer? It won’t take more than an hour, and you’d really be helping me out. Let me know! Thanks so much. Talk soon!”
Let's get to the questions you’re going to ask these people so you can get to know your ideal client. Remember, these answers are going to help you target them on Instagram.
Questions for finding your ideal customer
- Where do you live?
- Where do you work?
- Do you like your job?
- How much do you make a year?
- What do you dislike about your job?
- How old are you?
- What are some of your favorite hobbies?
- Are you doing what you’re most passionate about?
- What do you like about yourself?
- What do you dislike about yourself?
- What makes you happy?
- What are your favorite qualities in people?
- What are your favorite blogs?
- What are your favorite books?
- Do you read often?
- Who are your favorite people you follow?
- Who are the people who inspire you?
- Are you married/dating someone?
- What do you like about them?
- What is your worst fear?
- What blogs are you subscribed to?
- What are your favorite movies?
- Who are your favorite music artists?
- What are your favorite shows?
- What are your favorite sports?
- What do you do on the weekends?
- What are your favorite social media platforms?
- How often do you check social media?
- How often do you treat yourself?
- What do you do in your “me time?”
- What are you currently struggling with?
- How do you usually solve your problems?
- Do you stay in or go out more often?
- What do you do when you have a day off?
- What do you like to do when you go out?
- What do you do when you need information?
- What frustrates you the most?
- What keeps you up at night?
- What do you wish would change in your life?
- Did you go to college?
- What college did you go to?
- Are you working in the area you studied?
- What are your dreams?
- What are your goals?
- What are things you wish to do before you die?
- Who are the people you trust the most?
- Where do you shop?
- What are some of your favorite quotes?
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What does your typical day look like?
- What skills do you have?
How to actually find your ideal client
You don’t have to use all of these questions, they’re just examples and a guide. You can come up with your own, some that relate more to what your niche is.
Now that you know who your ideal customer is, their likes and dislikes, and other important information, you have to target them on Instagram. How exactly do you do that?
The first way you can do so is by running ads. When you run ads, you have the option to target exactly who your ideal client is. You get to choose their interests. Since you know what they like, what they’re interested in now, and whatnot, select those things, that way you can target your client exactly.
For example, if you sell Supergirl t-shirts, when you choose the interests of your ideal customer, you will select Supergirl, comic books, DC, Superman, superheroes, and anything else related.
You can also use the hashtags they’re using. For example, if you know that your customer is an artist and you sell art materials, you can use the hashtags #artsupplies #art #artmaterials #painting, and so on. That way, when your customer is on the hashtags, they’ll see your pictures.
The point is to hang out in the space where your ideal customer is hanging out so that they notice you, and eventually, follow you.